Friday, February 12, 2010

20 vs 30

This may be a bit self centered of a post but oh well, I am the one who always has to see the picture to make sure its "Katie approved" and take another if its not, so, are we surprised?







Today I'm 30, and I'm actually excited about that. I think it sounds romantic to say I'm 30 (Justin likes it too because he really thinks I'm a cougar now, he's 29). Maybe I feel a sense of maturity, that now I'm an adult, not only by being married and having kids, but in age I'll be accepted as an "adult"! People won't say "you're too young to have kids" and when that was said I would usually say "I'm _________(age)" or recently "I'm 30 in just a few months/weeks/days", trying to comfort them that its OK I have kids since I was __________ many.



So I thought about where my life has been since turning 20 and now today, so here is a recap.



20:



Enrolled at UVSC trying to pick a major



Dating Spencer, who I later married and divorced



Living with Sara, who I thought was a wonderful friend and when I later divorced Spencer, she thought it was horrible that I was dating Justin and told me that Spencer should move on since he deserves to be happy, we are no longer friends



Very involved with institute, being vice president of the institute and over the 11 different service committees



Working as a secretary at nights



maybe teaching dance



my days started at 9 most of the time and ended really late, like 1 0r 2 am

Only ate Chicken and never ate tomato's





30:


Married to the love of my life Justin who always kisses me good night and good morning


2 beautiful, sweet, crazy and happy children


finished my Bachelors at the University of Utah


Mainly a stay home mom but do have 2 part time jobs


starting to teach dance, again



enjoy more things beyond just dinner and a movie, we sight see, camp, spend weekends away, hike, read, decorate the home, and make memories with the kids

My days can start as early as 5:30 but mostly start at 7:30 and end around 11

eats all types of meat and enjoy the occasional tomato


I think the over all enjoyment is having a better handle on who I am, my boundries, what I expect from myself and others as well as looking forward to enjoying the choices I have made. I've said to friends that the 20's are about finding your way and making plans and choices, your 30's are about enjoying those choices. I know that our lives will change when it comes to finances, jobs, maybe where we live, but overall, this is the decade of watching my kids grow up, making long term plans and being better. A better wife, mother, family member, neighbor, friend, and ward member.

2 comments:

Amanda ~ A Crafty Fox said...

This post makes me really miss talking to you!!! I am so super glad you are happy and you make thirty look amazing!

Happy Birthday!

The Kilpatrick Klan said...

Oh to be excited about hitting 30 again! I was so happy when I turned 30 too. I am so glad to see you are happy and married to a wonderful man who adores you! You deserve it all! I miss you dearly, our all day trips to do MK stuff, and all the painting we did in your house together! I want to say now that I am 37 I am as happy as when I turned 30, but most days I am happier than seven years ago! You are amazing! Love you gorl!